November 17, 2014 by HCD editors – Healthcare Design Magazine – At a special awards luncheon on Sunday at the 2014 Healthcare Design Conference in San Diego, Healthcare Design honored the winners from its various competitions: the Healthcare Design Showcase, Remodel/Renovation Competition, Landscape Architecture for Healthcare Communities, and The HCD 10.
“Over the course of each year, our awards programs provide an excellent opportunity for us to take the pulse of the industry, as we consider more than a hundred projects across the board and look for patterns that emerge,” said Kristin D. Zeit, editor-in-chief of Healthcare Design, to kick off the ceremony. “This year, in particular, our jurors noticed just how many former innovations—daylighting, access to nature, and the incorporation of art, for instance—have graduated to baseline standards for healthcare design. This is a good thing, of course, as design that promotes healing seems to really be taking root in the global conversation.”
Here is the complete list of 2014 winners honored at the event:
The Healthcare Design Showcase
Awards of Merit:
- The Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute in Lancaster, Pa., submitted by Ballinger
- Sacred Heart Pediatric Emergency Department in Spokane, Wash., submitted by Mahlum Architects
- Mercy Health West Hospital in Cincinnati, submitted by AECOM with Mic Johnson, lead designer, and Champlin Architecture.
Ambulatory Care, Best of Category:
- Broward General Medical Center Adult Cancer Infusion, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., submitted by Perkins+Will.
Dining, Best of Category:
- UC San Diego Thornton Hospital Cafeteria, La Jolla, Calif., submitted by RTKL Associates Inc.
Landscape Architecture for Healthcare Communities
- Seattle Children’s Building Hope, submitted by Site Workshop
- Chief Andrew Isaac Health Center, submitted by Bettisworth North Architects and Planners Inc.
The HCD 10
- Owner: David Schuller, vice president of medical center expansion and outreach, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center—Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (Columbus, Ohio)
- Architect: Laura Poltronieri, principal, Poltronieri Tang & Associates (Swarthmore, Pa.)
- Association/foundation executive: Douglas Erickson, CEO, Facility Guidelines Institute (Dallas)
- Interior designer: Carolyn BaRoss, design principal, Perkins+Will (New York)
- Researcher: Sheila Bosch, director of research, Gresham, Smith and Partners (Tampa, Fla.)
- Construction executive: Carlos Gonzalez, project director, Clark/McCarthy, A Joint Venture (Costa Mesa, Calif.)
- Educator: James Shraiky, assistant professor, director of healthcare design initiatives, Arizona State University (Tempe, Ariz.)
- Facility manager: Mitch Goplen, vice president and director of facility services and construction, Billings Clinic (Billings, Mont.)
- Rising star: David Ruthven, co-lead and creative director, NXT Health (New York)
- Firm of the year: Perkins+Will (worldwide).
© 2014 Vendome Group, LLC All rights reserved.